Saturday, March 14, 2015

Relative ("Desert Island") Tuning Your Guitar "Two-torial" #4

As I mentioned in my last post, I wanted to expand a little bit on how to tune your guitar to itself (relative tuning), especially if you are someplace where you don't have access to a keyboard or tuning device.  I also call this "desert island" tuning.

It's pretty simple, actually, in that you start with the lowest string, making sure it's not too slack or too tight--from there you go to the fifth fret of that lowest string and play the tone.  That tone is what your next open string (the fifth string) should be tuned to.

That fifth fret system works for every string except for when you are trying to tune the second string--in that case you must use the FOURTH fret of the third string in order to get the correct tone.  Don't ask me why--I didn't design the order of the strings or their tones!!  :)

I have posted a new video to talk more about this method (click on the link below), and also below is a handy graphic that might help you as well.

"Two-torial" #4--Relative Tuning Your Guitar





Happy Picking Everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment