Monday, April 13, 2015

Developing Your Musical "Ear"


One of the best pieces of advice that one of my guitar teachers ever gave me was to always be working on developing my musical "ear"--that is, he encouraged me to work on 'hearing' notes in my head before actually playing them on my guitar.

This is a skill that takes some time to develop, but one that also pays HUGE dividends in the long run.  Even if you are a beginner student, a good way to practice your lessons is to say or sing the names of the notes as you play them on your guitar's fretboard.  Over time, you will see that you too will be able to hear those notes in your inner "musical ear," and it will become almost second nature to you.

And you don't have to be a great singer to do this training--in the privacy of your rehearsals and lessons, be intentional about this training.  Eventually, you won't even have to sing the notes aloud, as your inner musical "ear" will be doing that silently inside of your head.

In the video link below, I demonstrate an easy technique for developing your ear.  Happy Pickin'!


No comments:

Post a Comment